The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:44 pm 
Was in a Lexus is200se today, I want that stereo! great quality. How do it do it? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:25 pm 
ultimatley... like a proper home stereo... buy one that is single purpose.. unlike all the pioneer and technics bolloxs... go for quality.. i belive nakamichi do a head set and i belive bose do a bass unit and clarion do great music nuteral mid and top but not from a main streem supplier.. i would look at this and have it fitted by a pro shop not halfords...or such like remember the components are only as good as the source...
so really the best sound would be driven by valve amps on tannoy speakers ..ultra sensitive huge frequency ramnge.. but not available in car...but did see this i would if i could ummmmm yummmy http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NAKAMICHI-CD-700- ... dZViewItem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:00 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

what happened to thje janspeed please tell me had one on the first sprint i had about 15 /16 years ago put pavarotti and his mates to shame,

theirs a tunnel in coventry town centre i used to run it too every time i went out , one hell of a glorious roar. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:47 am 
Quote:
what happened to thje janspeed please tell me had one on the first sprint i had about 15 /16 years ago put pavarotti and his mates to shame,

theirs a tunnel in coventry town centre i used to run it too every time i went out , one hell of a glorious roar. :D
Haha I think I know which you mean. :D

2F45T4U, You do it in the way I told you on msn...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:50 am 

Could you share the secret here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:51 am 
Well it all depends on your budget. There are ways to get near on a smaller budget.

The main way to get good audio for your money is to only have the minimum speakers you need. In otherwords all you really need is 2 speakers for a car, as afterall you're the one bothered about the sound quality so what it sounds like for you is the only important thing.

So then, this means you need to spend your money on a head unit with a preamp output. Then the rest on an amp and speakers. Going for fully comp speakers too, as you cannot get the same quality with coaxials. Then you need to make sure you don't skimp on the wiring between them. Really you need to spend 30% on head unit, 30% on amp, 30% on 2 speakers and 10% on wiring.

The thing you need to make sure is you don't get caught up in wattage rating as this does not mean it is better. Yes you do get technically better sounding speakers and amps though. But what matters is whether you like the sound they produce, otherwise you could have the best speakers technically but not like the sound of them. This is why I am wanting an old hifi amp from the 80's than a new spec one for a home audio system.

So for example I really like Alpine and Infinity speakers, but someone else could hate them. So really you need to listen to a range, I can give you an idea what sort of sound they produce but no where near as you could from listening to them.

Plus you need to match the amp to the speakers well. For example the very trebly Alpines can be mellowed out by an Infinity amp to produce just the correct sound for you.

Oh also don't buy on makes, as that is about the worst thing you can do. Buy on the sound they produce.

If you need any help or suggestions, anyone feel free to email me or anything as I really don't mind helping.