The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:30 pm 
So it is! I'll b picking that up later then :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:41 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Hello Alun

I havn't even finished fitting my chassis rails yet but felt I had a fairly good idea! If the tube for the sub frame mount wasn't welded in place on the rail when supplyed and had a good inch or two movement fore and aft then fitment would be a breeze surely?

If the rail had a 2 inch square hole in it and the tube came with a 2 inch square washer fitted then once the rail is on and the subframe mounted (to the 3 other fixed mounts) the tube couldnt be aligned and welded in place?

When replying please include this message, I've had a good drink and will not have a clue what your on about then you reply!

Adam

Good idea. I've since looked at and measured every rail I have in stock; I'd wrongly assumed that because they are all cut from the same flat pattern they would be the same, but there appear to be two variables: Firstly, as the complex shape is formed, the rails take on an inherent twist; I'd experienced this myself in that we needed about six clamps to get the rails I've fitted to lie tight to the floorpan - there appears to be a variance in this twist. Secondly, what is not controlled is the angle the tube is inserted at; this had been reprted to me as an issue, but a large 'driver or the bolt itself was able to tweak this into place. You seem to have had a combination of the two.

I shall investigate your proposal with the next batch ordered, but we still have a few pairs already fabricated; they are too expensive to scrap!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:13 am 
Wow I think my literacy skills improve when I've had a good few can's!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:28 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Did these rails recently as you all know.

Had 2 minor issues;

1, Tube was set at the wrong angle (top was back about 15 or 20 degrees too far). Fixed by whacking forward with a big hammer (v. easy).

2, Rail seemed too short for floor pan. When tube was inserted (at correct angle) the back of the rail would not clear the rear of the floorpan. Fixed by tacking and whacking to suit (less easy but not hard). Could have cut a small piece out of the rail but it wasn't necessary.

Did lots of 'up and down' with a bare subframe to make sure all lined up.

All in all, you need two people to do the job properly. It takes time but it's worth double checking everything so the subframe doesn't put unnecessary strain on the rubber bushes when you bolt it up permanently.

Overall verdict?? Allow a days work for two people to do it if it's their first time :wink: Also wait for a still day as the MIG don't weld too well in the wind :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:29 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Quote:
the back of the rail would not clear the rear of the floorpan. Fixed by tacking and whacking to suit (less easy but not hard). Could have cut a small piece out of the rail but it wasn't necessary.
This is the tolerance issue of working with more than one fixed point. Hence the sheet of instructions suggesting removal of the triangle.

In an ideal world the fabricator would be offering each item up to a test floorpan and they would fit perfectly, but its not an ideal world.

Scrub that, in an ideal world we would have access to the original press tools!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:04 am 

In an ideal world we'd all live in a califonian climate and so not need any panels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:02 pm 

Quote:
Hence the sheet of instructions suggesting removal of the triangle
Hmmm, dont remember seeing them there destructions.

Were you testing my abilities by leaving them out Alun?
Actually they might've been in the parcel, in the bin, now in an incinerator somewhere.

Ah well it wasn't exactly hard to figure it out (especially as I didn't do the work :rofl4: )