I wanted to get a update in before the restoration show at the weekend. Looking at the new to do list I had a few loose ends that I wanted to tie up, I have also had some stuff back as well so I can end with a tantalising taste of what's I picked up a couple of days ago....
I wanted to start with the Servo, I needed to replace the foam filter, that happened to be exactly the same size as one of my air compressor filter foam filters. So that's been slotted in, the original rubber bellows have been cleaned up and refitted along with the new one way valve.
This is the new air filter...
The old one which had disintergrated was cleaned out and the new one simply slots in here
Rubber bellows cleaned and refitted, remember the plastic insert inside them
Non return valve fitted and it's ready to go into storage before being refitted to the car
Staying with the brakes, the new master cylinder that I have has obviously been sitting on the shelf for a good thirty years. In my experience with nos parts like this it's a good idea to give it a stripdown and check all the seals are still in good condition. It also gives me an opportunity to photo how the seals are fitted as it isnt entirely obvious if youre rediong you own.
Stripped, cleaned and as you probably guessed, the finish on the cylinder itself wasn't up to my high standards so I decided to re do it. It looks like it was painted gold rather than passivated as the bits under the blue tape were exposed metal.
Here you can see how the seals fit
A fresh coat of paint and everything was reassembled looking better than new
On to the Load Sensing Valve
If you haven't seen it yet, this is what it looked like when it was removed from the car.
Full of water and all the seals were shot, so after a good clean up and a new club seal kit we are ready to reassemble.
Clean and tidy work area...
If this makes any sense, this is how it is supposed to fit together. I made these notes when I took it apart.
Then it's a simple case of reassembling the spring mechanism.
I removed the link between the axle and the spring and took out the bushes before blasting it and repainting in satin black. The bushes were perfectly fine and went straight back in, if you needed some replacements these look like a a standard size so with a bit of hunting around I think you could probably pick some of these up easily.
All refurbished and ready to be refitted to the car
On to the clutch hydraulics, this is what the master cylinder looked like when it was reassembled.
To get the large rubber boot on without damaging it I heated it up on the radiator and wrapped the fork in masking tape to create a cone then gently fed it over them.
I have a new slave cylinder and link pipe, I'll need to make up a new pipe that goes to the reservoir as it's not up to my standard.
So that finished the brake and clutch hydraulic systems, I'll do the handbrake assembly next to finish off the brake system.
I collected something from the machine shop a couple of days ago which is now sitting wrapped in bubble wrap to keep it safe, here's a tantalising taster....
Don't worry there's a piece of card protecting the faces!!
Have a great weekend everyone.