The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 811 posts ]  Go to page Previous 151 52 53 54 55 Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:50 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
There should be two minute screws that hold the white disc shaped switch in place on the back of the barrel…
Thanks! I spotted one of them, I'll try and find the other now you've pointed out there are 2!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:29 am 
TDC Member

One step forward 2 steps backwards at the moment with the Dolomite. I really need her back on the road ready for the house move, but she's fighting me all the way!

I faced a bit of a dilemma with the ignition switch issues, I have a couple of later spare units, but they are "3mm connector loom" parts. Being an early(ish) car Binny has the molded 4.5mm pin loom connectors.
Of course I could cut the connector off the original switch and splice it onto the new one (or even get a 3mm pin socket and make a short adapter loom) OR de-solder the pins at the switch and solder on the old loom. Neither option would be totally satisfying to me.
The early switches with 4.5mm pin loom seem pretty rare, but Mick Dolphin came through with one for me!

I fought for a while trying to feed the loom back down the steering column with it in place, but it's just too tight (I managed to pull the old one out and drag a line through to try and pull the new one back - too tight though!)
So I pulled the steering column out. Frankly I wish I'd done that in the first place as it was an easy job getting it out and makes changing the switch a piece of cake.

Sadly (now the 2 steps back) on removing the loom cover that fits under the steering I found the lighting loom badly melted. I'm surprised it didn't cause a short/fire!

Again, being a 4.5mm pin loom connector... I can't just make up a replacement loom for this, which has left me chasing a replacement. Mick Dolphin doesn't have one, but Fitchetts do, so now I'm waiting for that to come before I re-fit everything.

It's a shame there's no compatible replacements for the 4.5mm pin connectors - if there was I could have solved all this a lot quicker/easier.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:23 pm 
TDC Member

The early connectors are getting harder to find now, the parts you need are the same for Stags, gives you more chance of finding the parts you need, i know you've got parts now but would have been quicker to solder your loom connectors on the new switches, good luck

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:01 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
The early connectors are getting harder to find now, the parts you need are the same for Stags, gives you more chance of finding the parts you need, i know you've got parts now but would have been quicker to solder your loom connectors on the new switches, good luck

Dave
Thanks for the heads up Dave! As far as I can see there are no compatible connectors anywhere out there - so it's NOS or used parts only!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:18 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:

Dave
Thanks for the heads up Dave! As far as I can see there are no compatible connectors anywhere out there - so it's NOS or used parts only!
Just had a thought, AutoSparks sell looms for early cars maybe they mite sell you the connectors

Dave

Post subject: Aye....
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:32 pm 
TDC Member

They switches are common to 2000s (up to about 1973),
please have a look at....
https://www.chriswitor.com/products.php?cat=276
https://www.chriswitor.com/products.php?cat=277
Chris has secondhand in stock.

Thanks
Ian

Post subject: Re: Aye....
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:21 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
They switches are common to 2000s (up to about 1973),
please have a look at....
https://www.chriswitor.com/products.php?cat=276
https://www.chriswitor.com/products.php?cat=277
Chris has secondhand in stock.

Thanks
Ian
Thanks Ian, I'll take a look when/if I need anything in future.
Quote:
Just had a thought, AutoSparks sell looms for early cars maybe they mite sell you the connectors
Dave
That's a good spot! They don't list them as parts, but the loom photos clearly show the correct encapsulated/potted 4.5mm pins/sockets. I'll see if they'd sell the pins/sockets separately.
It'd be a PITA making the encapsulation and ensuring correct alignment to the corresponding connector - but totally do-able with some polyurethane potting compound.

Cheers, Sam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:03 pm 
TDC Member

By way of an update the lighting "mini-loom" arrived from Fitchetts today, so the whole lot can go back together now!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:25 pm 
TDC Member

Enquiries with autosparks revealed that they do list the crimp terminals used in the encapsulated/potted connectors
Moulded Plug Socket Terminal Part Number: 150555
Moulded Plug Pin Terminal Part Number: 150558

I now have some and they do appear to be a good match for the pins in the connector - which means that if I create a mold for them I can actually replace the connectors/looms now. (Non-trivial task I know, but at least it's POSSIBLE!)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:45 am 
TDC Member

MOT Passed! Another year of motoring. A few minor things to check, tester commented on slight play in the NS end of the steering rack and in the steering UJ. Also need to check the end-float/play in the wheel bearings.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:08 pm 
TDC Member

I came to start the car on Monday in preparation for using the car for a work trip on Wednesday this week - nothing, dead battery. No amount of slow charge/fast charge/boost start could give it enough "ooomph" to get the car started.
Late on Tuesday I gave up and ordered a new battery, which has just arrived (I opted for delivery today knowing I was out at work yesterday) I nipped out at lunch time and swapped the battery onto the car. Starts first time!
I think the car is sulking because the Spitfire has had most of the attention this year in preparation for the RBRR etc.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:10 am 
TDC Member

She's definitely sulking about something... tried to take the car out for a run last night and got to the end of the street and a serious mis-fire under load developed. Hmmm another problem that needs solving before the house move!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:55 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
She's definitely sulking about something... tried to take the car out for a run last night and got to the end of the street and a serious mis-fire under load developed. Hmmm another problem that needs solving before the house move!
Sodding car. I fired her up on Saturday morning and she was ticking over fine, but any attempt to rev resulted in a nasty mis-fire no matter what the choke setting. I left the car to warm up and things seemed to improve. Switched off, went inside did a few other things. Came back out... car fired up fine and rev'd no problem and has done (including several runs out) all weekend.
I hate intermittent issues. My only hope is that the warm through and running has actually cured whatever it was (damp in the ignition system, sooted up plugs, something like that)

Post subject: Oh…
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:06 pm 
TDC Member

First thought was condenser but as it is an early Dolomite I would try bypassing the tachometer…?

Ian

Post subject: Re: Oh…
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:15 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
First thought was condenser but as it is an early Dolomite I would try bypassing the tachometer…?

Ian
That's a genius suggestion Ian! Thanks - hadn't even occurred to me, but now you say it....DOH!
No condenser as James fitted an electronic ignition - one of the items I've been checking to rule in/out is the connections to that which were disturbed taking the engine/box out and refitting. But they seem ok.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 811 posts ]  Go to page Previous 151 52 53 54 55 Next