The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14 Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:20 pm 
TDC Motorsport Registrar

A messy workbench for a change but I've made up the hydraulic clutch pipes and mocked up the system to test it to make sure it works and doesn't leak.

It does, and it doesn't :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:05 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
A messy workbench for a change but I've made up the hydraulic clutch pipes and mocked up the system to test it to make sure it works and doesn't leak.

How are you going to connect them when the gearbox is in situ.

Built 26/6/1980 (one of the last built), Auto, Porcelain White - Genuine Mileage 52,820 (warranted).

Only 3 previous owners, (2 within the same family).

Supplied by Lavender Hill Garage Ltd, Enfield, London, by garage owner Jimmy Metcalfe on 30th September 1980 to Geoffery Robinson, Enfield.

Club Membership No: 2017092

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:03 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:

You can see the two hoses sticking out of the Bellhousing, one will go to the clutch master cylinder and the other will be a clutch bleed valve

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:23 pm 
TDC Motorsport Registrar

Quote:
Quote:

You can see the two hoses sticking out of the Bellhousing, one will go to the clutch master cylinder and the other will be a clutch bleed valve

Dave

Is the correct answer.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:47 am 
TDC Member

What slave cyl did you use? I have a saab one on mine, just wondered if theres another that fits. Looking very nice :)

Tony

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:14 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Dave
Is the correct answer.
Would it have been better to have the join just outside the box, just wondering - if a leak sprung it would be easier to fix.

Built 26/6/1980 (one of the last built), Auto, Porcelain White - Genuine Mileage 52,820 (warranted).

Supplied by Lavender Hill Garage Ltd, Enfield, London, by garage owner Jimmy Metcalfe on 30th September 1980 to Geoffery Robinson, Enfield.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:09 am 
TDC Motorsport Registrar

Quote:
Dave
Is the correct answer.

Would it have been better to have the join just outside the box, just wondering - if a leak sprung it would be easier to fix.

The ideal solution would be to drill holes in the top of the bell housing and use bulkhead connectors but I didn't want to do anything to the gearbox that was not reversible in case the rubbish cross shaft system needed to be reinstalled for whatever barmy reason.

In my experience, as the fittings are the same size and type as the brake pipes, I've never had one leak and the leak I did once have was down to one of the pipes splitting due to the gearbox and engine being taken out about 5 times trying to cure yet another engine oil leak - where these pipes exit the gearbox I have put a thick tie wrap on the inner and outer side and this has stopped the pipes moving about, once the engine and box are installed in the car I don't expect to take them out again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:01 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Dave
Is the correct answer.

The ideal solution would be to drill holes in the top of the bell housing and use bulkhead connectors but I didn't want to do anything to the gearbox that was not reversible in case the rubbish cross shaft system needed to be reinstalled for whatever barmy reason.

In my experience, as the fittings are the same size and type as the brake pipes, I've never had one leak and the leak I did once have was down to one of the pipes splitting due to the gearbox and engine being taken out about 5 times trying to cure yet another engine oil leak - where these pipes exit the gearbox I have put a thick tie wrap on the inner and outer side and this has stopped the pipes moving about, once the engine and box are installed in the car I don't expect to take them out again.
What i did on my setup, fitted the Aeroquip hoses straight in to the clutch cylinder and used 25mm pipe plugs in the gearbox where the cross shaft went and hoses poke through the pipe plugs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:17 pm 
TDC Motorsport Registrar

Quote:
What i did on my setup, fitted the Aeroquip hoses straight in to the clutch cylinder and used 25mm pipe plugs in the gearbox where the cross shaft went and hoses poke through the pipe plugs
The hoses were already made up and had I plumbed them directly into the cylinder then they wouldn't have been long enough...you need to post some pictures Dave!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:31 am 
TDC Member

I used a similar setup on my racecar in 2013. I use a small piece of heater hose to protect the pipes where they went through the gearbox casing. I took the bleed pipe back up to where the clutch master reservoir is and attached with a cable tie. Never had a single issue with it. Excellent product. Geoff

Attachments:
IMG_1031 (2).JPG
IMG_1031 (2).JPG [ 64.44 KiB | Viewed 20112 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:44 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Hi Shaun,
Is it a Sprint Speed cylinder?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:09 pm 
TDC Motorsport Registrar

Quote:
Hi Shaun,
Is it a Sprint Speed cylinder?
Hi Paul, yes it is.

You can buy the cylinder fairly cheaply by using a Saab one, but there is a fair bit of machining required on the aluminium bits it is mounted to so that's where the cost comes from I suspect.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:44 pm 
TDC Motorsport Registrar

Wasn't overly happy with the paint finish so the car's been back in the Spray booth recently, I'm picking it up later so we'll see how good it is....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:39 pm 
TDC Member

If you're not happy with it, quite right!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:26 pm 
TDC Member

This is how I did mine

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 14 Next