The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:58 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:26 pm 
Offline
TDC Member

Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:06 pm
Posts: 35
Just trying to improve my Toledo knowledge :oops:. Am I correct in thinking that there were only ever two types of clutch fitted to a 1300 Toledo, the 9 spline one for the 3 rail gearbox and the 20 spline one for the single rail? :jack:


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:45 am 
Offline
TDC West Yorks Area Organiser
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:52 pm
Posts: 7569
Location: Halifax, West Yorkshire
I've moved the thread here because it is a technical question and NOT a restoration thread.

To answer your question, you are indeed correct about the clutch. You are also correct in that is is related to the type of gearbox. The change occurred in 1975. You can download the Toledo parts catalogue and factory workshop manual from my BT Cloud.

_________________
Toledo Man

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the 1st Wednesday of every month at The Hollies Sports & Social Club, 12 Hough Lane, Bramley, Leeds, LS13 3NE
1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - The rolling restoration)
2008 Citro├źn C4 Grand Picasso 2.0 HDi Exclusive (MA08 WCL - the modern)
1995 BMW 318i (M265 PNC - Project Bimmer)
2004 Vauxhall Corsa Design 16V (FE04 FKG - not mine! Being revived)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:16 pm 
Offline
TDC Member

Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:06 pm
Posts: 35
Thanks very much for your reply and the link to the Workshop and Parts Manuals, they will keep me entertained for hours whilst the Christmas TV repeats are on.
Just another question if I may. My 24k miles Toledo is quite original and largely to factory spec. When I bought it it did not have a rubber on the accelerator pedal but at this years National I was told that it should have one (for now I have fitted a part worn one). The workshop manual does not show one fitted and there is no part number listed. Does this then mean that the original spec did not have one? :? :jack:


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:50 am 
Offline
TDC Member

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:38 pm
Posts: 56
Location: Berkshire
Quote:
Just another question if I may. My 24k miles Toledo is quite original and largely to factory spec. When I bought it it did not have a rubber on the accelerator pedal but at this years National I was told that it should have one (for now I have fitted a part worn one). The workshop manual does not show one fitted and there is no part number listed. Does this then mean that the original spec did not have one? :? :jack:
This is a very good question and something I've been wondering too. The 1971/72 Toledo parts book shows no rubber part on the pedal.

Image

_________________
Cheers,
Chris

1971 Triumph Toledo 2 door
1977 Triumph Stag
Toledo blog, Toledo & Dolomite part catalogues & repair manuals


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:49 pm 
Offline
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 3:38 pm
Posts: 216
Location: Canvey Island, Essex
Quote:
Thanks very much for your reply and the link to the Workshop and Parts Manuals, they will keep me entertained for hours whilst the Christmas TV repeats are on.
Just another question if I may. My 24k miles Toledo is quite original and largely to factory spec. When I bought it it did not have a rubber on the accelerator pedal but at this years National I was told that it should have one (for now I have fitted a part worn one). The workshop manual does not show one fitted and there is no part number listed. Does this then mean that the original spec did not have one? :? :jack:
When my father bought our four-door 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 in May 1975, it did NOT have an accelerator-pedal rubber either. Several years later, I salvaged one from another related Triumph saloon at the local car breaker's yard.

My clutch lasted 101,000 miles

_________________
Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering, for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=308177758

Upgraded 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 (Toledo / Dolomite HL / Sprint hybrid)

Onetime member + magazine editor & technical editor of Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:29 pm 
Offline
TDC Member

Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:06 pm
Posts: 35
That,s a very high mileage for a clutch Nigel, I hope the one I fitted lasts as long. On my current annual mileage that will be 50 yrs so I doubt I will be driving by then :P . Like you, I am of the opinion that they did not have one fitted when new and I also have fitted one from another car. If I want to keep it original I can always take it off. :jack:


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:21 pm 
Offline
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 3:38 pm
Posts: 216
Location: Canvey Island, Essex
Quote:
That,s a very high mileage for a clutch Nigel, I hope the one I fitted lasts as long. On my current annual mileage that will be 50 yrs so I doubt I will be driving by then :P . Like you, I am of the opinion that they did not have one fitted when new and I also have fitted one from another car. If I want to keep it original I can always take it off. :jack:
I wasn't very impressed with just 101,000 miles for a clutch, which I thought should last a lot longer!?!

About 20,000 miles earlier, I was obliged to replace the rear brake shoes; not because the were worn to anywhere near their limits, but because the MOT inspector claimed they were glazed owing to lack of use!?! Up to the 101,000 miles I had yet to wear out my third set of front disc-brake pads and the brake discs themselves show little sign of wear. The last time I replaced a complete set of five tyres (Kelly-Springfield Steelmark, 175 SR13) each tyre had about 35,000 miles worth of wear on them.

It's probably all attributable to gentle, economical driving. :D

My car will never be original again and hasn't been since before my father bought it in May 1975. It becomes even less original with each phase of upgrades & modifications. 8)

When I last overhauled the hydraulic clutch master cylinder and brake master cylinder, I replaced the split-pins at the end of the piston rods where they fit into the foot-pedal-lever assemblies (i.e. Items 153675 & PC0009 in the picture below) with clevis pins salvaged from Triumph front brake-disc-pad retaining pins. They are much easier to remove in the future than split pins and probably just as secure for all practical purposes.

_________________
Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering, for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=308177758

Upgraded 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 (Toledo / Dolomite HL / Sprint hybrid)

Onetime member + magazine editor & technical editor of Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited