The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Indicator stalk
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looking for a new indicator stalk (complete with harness) for a late model Dolomite. Any pointers as to where I can obtain a good quality one...? Oh and where I should avoid...

Post subject: Re: Indicator stalk
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:25 pm 
TDC Member

Personally I would go to Robsport. Used them for years and they don't sell rubbish, or if they do they tell you (e.g. rubber carb mounts!!). Used them for years for loads of Standard Triumph Spares, never had an issue. The one they advertise is a "Lucas" one, of course we all know this is not the original Lucas, "Prince of Darkness" Lucas, but it is probably as good as you are going to get.

You don't say why you need a new one but before fitting just make sure the connections (the riveted ones in the switch itself) are secure and the switch action is good. Usually with light switches of this era it is the heat and or arcing generated at the switch contacts that cause an early demise. The dip function is the one that usually goes first as it is carrying the current for all four headlamps. In the 25 years I have had my 1985 Landy 110 - similar switch - it has "eaten" 2 of them. I have now fitted relays to the headlamps to take the heavy current away from the main light switch and the dip switch - did the same on my Stag and I am about to do the same to my Sprint, just as soon as I get the front suspension back together :D

Apologies if "teaching granny to suck eggs" :)

Roger

Too many cars, too little time!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:32 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

The ‘green boxed’ ‘Lucas’ ones have no flash function.

I’m sure I can find you a used one...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:32 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
The ‘green boxed’ ‘Lucas’ ones have no flash function.

I’m sure I can find you a used one...
Not going to argue because I don't know and haven't had a Dolomite long enough to get know all the variations in parts :D but ...

ANG advertise this one:

https://www.angclassiccarparts.co.uk/pr ... e-7680-rhd

Which states "flash" in the description and is exactly the same part no. as the Lucas one, and as far as I can see the picture looks the same - though not conclusive looks as though the pivot is there to enable the arm to move.

A quick call to Robsport would confirm. (Robsport is cheaper at £40.50p with club discount)

Roger

Too many cars, too little time!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:11 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Maybe they've responded to feedback?

The one I have here does not have the flash function; the pivot is there, but only allows the stalk to be pushed away from the driver for main beam, it cannot be pulled toward the driver. It has the SQB119 part number on the box and sports a black plug at the end of the sub loom.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Interesting stuff! Thanks guys. I had spotted the ANG one and was about to click on BUY but stopped myself when I had a thought that maybe there might be some issues with modern reproductions. I'm in no particular hurry, I don't need it yesterday if not sooner, so I'll do a bit of digging/calling round first :thumbsup: