The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 8:16 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:24 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

On my usual afternoon foray through eBay came across this:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126451975802 ... p_homepage

looks cracking and bet it's a hoot.

What did spark interest and I've seen it on other modified cars and race sprints, is the additional oil feed to the cam cover (picture 15) between plugs 2 and 3. I presume its a simple T from an oil cooler feed or from the oil pressure sensor / gauge outlet on the oil pump cover.

Question is, to those in the know, is it worth doing to a road car, or is the std oil feed good enough? Guess the downsides are to ensure the plug tubes are absolutely oil tight and don't leak, and the same goes for the cam cover gasket, needs to be 110% secure to cope with the extra oil that's being splashed around up there.

Also on picture 15 there is 2 screw heads, to either side of the additional oil feed - are those there to hold a spray bar assembly in place, above the camshaft? Any ideas if you can buy a kit and modify to suit or is it custom?

I have a couple of spare cam covers, so would be easy enough to tap and mod, and the braided pipe would almost off the shelf. But is it worthwhile, or only necessary on engines that spend most of their life at 10 million rpm, rather than mine that goes to Tescos.....once in a blue moon?

2023 Porsche 911 Carrera T Manual!!
2021 Toyota Yaris GR-Four
2015 Audi RS4 Avant (V8!!)

Gone but not forgotten 2008 BMW M5 (E61) Touring (George, as in Best, as it likes a Drink) to be replaced soon...... Epic epic car

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 2:29 pm 
TDC Member

Top end oil feeds usually tee off the galleries via a blanking plug on the block. Thus they MUST be restricted otherwise they'll starve the front mains of oil pressure. IMHO not needed on a road car and of dubious benefit even on a track car.