The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:32 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:30 pm 
Hi,

Does anyone know where abouts Triumph had factories at all? I have just found out there is many Triumph and Standard named roads less than a mile from my house in Coventry. So I am wondering, is that where Triumph use to be?

Post subject: you will also find
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:52 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

the standard triumph club amonst it all as well .

the village hotel is on dolomite ave thats where the local area meet for the club is held.last wednesday of the month.

rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:37 pm 
The car production plant has now been replaced with a Sainsburys supermarket. This shows before and after:

Everything south of the railway line is ST.

This:

shows the site as per today. The main building with the white roof is Sainsburys.

Yes, the area now has the names of Triumph and Standard cars the postcode for the factory was CV4 9DB (Sainsbury's now has this postcode).

There is a monument erected by Triumph owners to the south of the Social club (the only remaining building of the original complex - mentioned above), this monument stands precisely on the spot where the gate house once stood in the main enterance to the factory.

Triumph's Speke factories (1&2): Number 2 is still standing and is now the home of Rayware the people who make kitchen wares and called the "Triumph Trading Estate", the main road in is called Spitfire Road.

I am unsure as to what the fate of No1 is though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:46 pm 
Yes they were.

Original purpose was for the building of Toledo shells that were then completed at No2.

Thanks for the info on No.1 up until the 90's it was mothballed and stood as it did when everyone went home in the early 80's I wonder what became of the machinery that stood inside?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:20 pm 
:lol:

Yes of course the reason they closed Speke was because of the militant workforce. They had a work to rule which then resulted in a sit in which I think rumbled on for around 6 months when the management sacked the entire lot of 'em! :shock: .

Production was then switched to Canley.

Again (Speke legend I think) it was said that TR7's at Speke were sabotaged whist still on the line with workers scrapping paint off the underside of wings so the car would rust even quicker (than an early 7 would have), they were meant to be that miffed with the management.

But as I say it is probably just legend...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:50 pm 
Wow that is near where I am! I walk past the Standard/Triumph sign quite a bit, always wondered what it was there.

rich, sounds interesting.

Sainsburys is where I shop quite a bit, weird thinking the factory use to be there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:44 pm 
Iv just been up by yours then in my Triumph!!
Been around vons family alday just off broad lane!!

The road names by the factory site are :-

Herald Ave
Renown Ave
Vangaurd Ave
Dolomite way
Toledo close

And i think a couple more

Triumph alive in Dolomite Ave

some photo's of the factory...

1300fwd's being assembled at Liverpool

Iv also got photo's of Dolomite's at Canley which ill try and remember to bring them to the village!! wont be there the next one as im on holiday but ill be there for the following one!!

Nathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:09 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:33 am 

my tolly earlier in the year
i'm only a short walk from Canley in earlsdon, where are you living this year satrix? i keep seeing (and hearing!) your dolomite, infact a few days ago you were parked behind my house :lol:

1979 Toyota Hiace camper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:05 am 
Haha, I'm jut at Clarendon Street. Have you heard it lately when it got real loud? So where abouts are you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:47 pm 

I live on Brunswick road just up from the Ardvark :lol: You drove past me the other day in Ersdon where all the shops are, certainly sounded pretty loud, plenty of turned heads too!

1979 Toyota Hiace camper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:15 pm 
Ahh cool! Theres a nice Scimitar on the way to the Aardvark from mine too. I am just behind those shops at Earlsdon. You got the Tolly there? If so I'd be interested having a nose about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:00 pm 

toledos back home in my parents garage :D I've just got my '83 mazda in cov. i hope to bring the toledo up after christmas

1979 Toyota Hiace camper