The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:01 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Exhaust down pipe
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:44 pm 
Offline
TDC Member

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:53 pm
Posts: 561
Location: Harrow Middlesex
My exhaust front down pipe,needs replacing,but i can not undo the three bolts,now a bit rounded,so tired to take the manifold off but there the same,so my question is,do i pull the engine out or can you take the head off but still leave the timing untouched, a bit like the stag,you can take a stag head off and leave the timing gear just sitting there

thanks for any help Dave


Top
   
 Post subject: Okay.......
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:52 pm 
Offline
TDC Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:22 pm
Posts: 6271
Location: Caithness, Scotland
Is this a Sprint engine?




Ian.

_________________
TDC Forum moderator
PLEASE help us to maintain a friendly forum,
either PM or use Report Post if you see anything you are unhappy with. Thanks.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Okay.......
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:59 pm 
Offline
TDC Member

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:53 pm
Posts: 561
Location: Harrow Middlesex
Quote:
Is this a Sprint engine?




Ian.
Ian

yes sprint engine

Dave


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Exhaust down pipe
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:47 pm 
Offline
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:04 pm
Posts: 820
Quote:
My exhaust front down pipe,needs replacing,but i can not undo the three bolts,now a bit rounded,so tired to take the manifold off but there the same,so my question is,do i pull the engine out or can you take the head off but still leave the timing untouched, a bit like the stag,you can take a stag head off and leave the timing gear just sitting there

thanks for any help Dave
I have just rebuilt one of these engines and you should be able to undo the bolts holding the timing cog on the cam. Then the head can come off. Assuming you can get the head bolts undone.


Top
   
 Post subject: Hmm….
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:45 pm 
Offline
TDC Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:22 pm
Posts: 6271
Location: Caithness, Scotland
Even though I do possess an engine crane I would be loathe to remove the engine just to facilitate front pipe replacement.

Instead I would persevere with six sided sockets ( or spanners)....
instead of a 9/16"AF I would hammer a 14mm socket on.


If you haven't done so already, removing the heater's blower does improve access considerably (but it is still a squeeze).




Ian.

_________________
TDC Forum moderator
PLEASE help us to maintain a friendly forum,
either PM or use Report Post if you see anything you are unhappy with. Thanks.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Exhaust down pipe
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:17 pm 
Offline
TDC Member

Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:22 pm
Posts: 128
Does the engine still run? Maybe soak in WD40, run the engine until very hot, maybe put an extra bit of heat on too with a blow lamp, but definitely use a good quality spanner or socket. I've just put mine together, the down pipe bolts had sheared off so the holes have been drilled and nut and bolts put in, use brass manifold nuts. The bonus is if they seize/shear in the future the broken bits will just fall out! If you take the manifold off, I'd put plenty of copper grease on the bolts when they go back in.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Exhaust down pipe
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:51 pm 
Offline
TDC Member

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:53 pm
Posts: 561
Location: Harrow Middlesex
Quote:
Quote:
My exhaust front down pipe,needs replacing,but i can not undo the three bolts,now a bit rounded,so tired to take the manifold off but there the same,so my question is,do i pull the engine out or can you take the head off but still leave the timing untouched, a bit like the stag,you can take a stag head off and leave the timing gear just sitting there

thanks for any help Dave
I have just rebuilt one of these engines and you should be able to undo the bolts holding the timing cog on the cam. Then the head can come off. Assuming you can get the head bolts undone.
Thanks,ive worked out a way of sleaving the exhaust,then i can get the exhaust on to see what the fit will be like,a bit later down the line when i paint the engine bay ill deal with the exhaust manifold

thanks Dave


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Exhaust down pipe
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:53 pm 
Offline
TDC Member

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:53 pm
Posts: 561
Location: Harrow Middlesex
Quote:
Does the engine still run? Maybe soak in WD40, run the engine until very hot, maybe put an extra bit of heat on too with a blow lamp, but definitely use a good quality spanner or socket. I've just put mine together, the down pipe bolts had sheared off so the holes have been drilled and nut and bolts put in, use brass manifold nuts. The bonus is if they seize/shear in the future the broken bits will just fall out! If you take the manifold off, I'd put plenty of copper grease on the bolts when they go back in.
ive already tried using a blow lamp the heat the bolt but no joy

thanks Dave


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Hmm….
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:54 pm 
Offline
TDC Member

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:53 pm
Posts: 561
Location: Harrow Middlesex
Quote:
Even though I do possess an engine crane I would be loathe to remove the engine just to facilitate front pipe replacement.

Instead I would persevere with six sided sockets ( or spanners)....
instead of a 9/16"AF I would hammer a 14mm socket on.


If you haven't done so already, removing the heater's blower does improve access considerably (but it is still a squeeze).




Ian.

Thanks Ian

already tried all that but thanks for ideas

Dave


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Exhaust down pipe
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:05 pm 
Offline
TDC West Mids Area Organiser
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:13 pm
Posts: 11845
Location: Over here...can't you see me?
As explained yesterday Dave, if you jack up the nearside of the engine (having undone the mount on that side and the radiator top hoses), you can remove the manifold and downpipe together, though some of the manifold bolts will undo from the head, but will hit the turret/flitch panel before they extract from the manifold, so remember which as refitting requires them to be similarly in the manifold before it is offered up.

Rounded bolt heads require surface drive spanners; the best tool in my tool box


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Exhaust down pipe
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:52 pm 
Offline
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:45 pm
Posts: 11470
Location: Middlesex
What Alun just said but you can also try dropping the 2 rear subframe bolts to see if you get better access from underneath.

These downpipe flange bolts are right PITA, but access to even rounded ones is substantially improved if you have the facilities to swing out the engine and box together. You get a lot of benefits from removing the engine, like access to the rack mountings and a general sort of oil leaks and clucth plates and exhaust mounting bracketry and heat sheilds etc..

Definitely replace with studs and nuts, but be advised it will be difficult to impossible to refit the downpipe with the bottom stud in place.

Jonners

_________________
Note from Admin: sadly Jon passed away in February 2018 but his humour and wealth of knowledge will be fondly remembered by all. RIP Jonners.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited