Good Afternoon All,
Also, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Following the progress with the paintwork i decided that the next step would be to start getting it as a rolling shell.
We started this by removing the subframe and stripping the bits of it. Something tells me that it had never been apart so it took alot of effort.
This subframe has been modified to take the C20XE engine mounts. It's also had a fair amount of strengthening as the welding left alot to be desired! This can be seen on the main fore/aft sections.
To my pleasure the mounting areas are in great condition so i don't expect it to need anything else before being powder coated.
When my dad purchased his racecar(KPD105W) I sourced a Salisbury LSD from him also.
Being us, we took it apart!
Partly as a learning exercise but also as an exercise to see how it's set up.
This is a spreader that we made ~5 years ago to set up a noisy open diff.
So I have read that the original LSD cars were set up with a "public friendly" diff setting. On mine this was approximately 35Nm. This meant having both drive plates together on either side, with both friction plates next to each other also.
We have now set it up so the order is now drive plate-friction plate-drive plate-friction plate. Interestingly this still gives us a value of ~35Nm. I believe the next step is to try shimming it to increase the torque setting. More to follow!
The chap i acquired it from informed me it had "ST driveshafts" installed. I was intruiged to find out more.....
I didn't realise they would be this big!
Thanks for reading, I am hoping there will be more progress soon after we've had suspension components powder coated etc.
Until next time....
1980 Dolomite Sprint Track Day Car....KLJ 895W. now redtopiffied
Volkswagen Golf MK3 Gti....R301UUJ. RIP 22-5-13
Volkswagen Golf MK4 TDGTI 150 MM53VNT Sold 7-8-17
BMW 320d Coupe M-Sport with factory fitted Performance Pack.
Proud TDC Member!