Just thought I’d restart this thread as the last one was me talking nonsense for 9 straight pages
But first, a littl back ground on my car. It's a 1500TC and had it for just over two years, I bought it from someone in rugby for the small sum of £380. It had a blown head gasket and a horrible mat black and grey paint job, which was half primer grey and the other half paint brushes matte black. It was kind of a restoration project just getting it road worthy and looking ok. Me and my dad spent a few months getting the engine apart to replace all the bearings and seals which wasn't too hard compared to the next 4 months doing all the body work and interior.
The body work sanding was done by hand, by me, so it took about two months of work to sand off the black paint and to etch the primer that was exposed. My dad had some gear that he used to spray his cars when he restored his cars so he put both the primer coat and the colour layer. the colour I wanted the car was signal red as I thought it was a deep red and looked quite nice but the colour I ended up with was a very bright red, with a black roof as I didn't want to fit a vynle roof cover. It was a nice little motor, ran smooth when off choke and was roomy, but since owning it it's been through 3 head gaskets, 3!!
So after a year, I got into a small accident and crushed the nose so I took it off the road and wanted to do more than just fix the body work and I heard that an MX5 engine near enough drops in and was thinking it would be an easy way to make more power and increase reliability.
Then I found out about the Rocketer MX5 with a Jag V6 swapped into it. Thought this would be a great idea. I bought a 99’ Jaguar S Type 3.0 with a Manual for £550, ripped the engine and gearbox out and set about swapping it in. First issue is the intake manifold sits proud of the front of the engine by about 150mm, so I’ve taken to making an ITB manifold from old MG ZR throttle bodies as the Jenvey kits about £2k!!! Also using some cheap Boxster exhaust manifolds as the cast Jag ones were unsuitable
Due to various personal reasons, it’s taken me 4 years and the engine mounts have only just been started. I’ve pulled the dolomite engine and gearbox our and sold them, pulled the axle out and torn it down to rebuild, and bought a Ford Cortina axle to fab into the car.
With the lockdown, I’ve had chance to work on I’m the project a bit more but haven’t really progressed, mainly as the car is in a different garage to all the parts
Currently, I’m working on attaching mounts to the ‘Tina axle so I can fit it into the car to help move it around as well as lightly restoring the front suspension by knocking all the surface rust off and paint it a nice bright pink (wife’s choice)
As well as the swap, I’ve been eyeing up ideas on how to make the dolly chassis stiffer and handle better such as subframe connectors, roll centre adjusters, solid suspension bushes, and reinforced plastic parts, all to make what I would consider the ultimate handling Dolomite
Current prediction for a V1 build is around £5k with most of that being the ECU, Wheels, Tyres, and the 6 throttle bodies for the intake. Hopefully over the years after finishing, I’m planning to rebuild an engine for more power, such as cams, maybe some head work, and some forged rods, aiming for an output of between 300/350hp naturally aspirated.