Despite the recent weather I have made some good progress. No news on the engine yet, I'll find out tomorrow weather we are a go or not for next weekend.
In the meantime I have been wrapping up some loose ends so I can get the most of the car finished next weekend at the show.
I reconditioned the steering rack, new bush, bearings etc... that has now been refitted with new ball joints in the front suspension and new hardware.
Have decided to replace the subframe bushes if they need to be done, as there wont be an engine in the car I'll drop the subframe at the show and do them there, we can work on the front brakes at the same time and should put on a good show. I may drop the rear axle as well so that it's easier to fit new brake lines and do the brakes, I have a set of bolts so
The NOS Steering linkage that I found at Stoneleigh has been fitted and the bulkhead bush replaced for a superflex item.
The wheels after being sprayed up have had a set of Uniroyal Rain experts fitted.
I had a problem with the tyre fitter at ATS in Aldershot. I got the tyres through Blackcircles and used ATS because they fitted RUKs tyres without an issue. This time however the fitter refused to fit the tyres telling me that the rims weren't suitable for tubeless tyres. After a lot of arguing, showing brochures which stated that the rims were Dunlop tubeless rims and showing them other wheels the fitter very very reluctantly fitted them throwing his arms around saying that he wouldn't be responsible for causing a crash. I was politely told not to come back as they wouldn't fit any more for me!
In the snow this morning I repaired the loom where I accidentally cut an earth wire, the loom itself is fine and will be re-wrapped. The bonnet release cable was shot so I also fitted a new one of them and refitted the bonnet. The bonnet does need a bit of work and a respray however I deliberately haven't done it yet as the weather isn't playing ball and I am on a time constraint.
Even though it is lashed down in the wind the canopy is an accident waiting to happen, especially with fresh paint. So I took it down, dropped the car onto its wheels and for the first time I could view the car under natural light, it's not too bad!
The headlamp panels that I have arent good enough, they are OK but I'm not happy with them so I have asked Alun to bring a pair of club ones to the show for me. As per Steve's suggestion (an excellent one, thanks Steve) I'll screw them on so I can remove them and spray them up when I do the bonnet, it does mean that I can do the wiring for the halogen conversion.
That's it for now, I will see everyone at the NEC!