The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:11 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:00 pm 
Offline
TDC Member

Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:52 pm
Posts: 2072
Hello All, I'm helping out with this Sprint cylinder head job and we were a bit boggled as to exactly how the oil supply gets to the rocker shaft and camshaft from the cylinder block. We can see all the rockers are drilled with an oil way that comes out of the end of the rocker and onto the exhaust valve tappets , and the rocker shaft is hollow and has drillings to let oil out to the rockers. We can also see that the camshaft support bearings have oilways underneath . But how does oil get into these drillings please. Naturally we want to clean these out. It all looks very different to the 1850. ( No surprises there :D ).

Thanks Tony.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:41 pm 
Offline
TDC Shropshire Area Organiser

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:12 pm
Posts: 5237
Location: Highley, Shropshire
Camshaft and rocker oil supply comes from the front of the jackshaft via a drilling in the block and through the head gasket.

HTH, Steve

_________________
2 door '73 Toledo with Vauxhall Carlton 2.0 8v engine OWF 797M (The Carledo)
'78 Sprint Auto with Vauxhall Omega 2.2 16v engine EGP 247T (The Dolomega)
'91 Cavalier 2ltr 8v auto
'95 Cavalier 2ltr 16v auto
Spectrum Auto Services, Servicing, Repairs, Electrical, Recomissioning, MOT prep, Trackerjack brake fitting service.
Apprentice served Triumph Specialist for 45 years and home of Maverick Triumph.PM for more info or quotes.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:17 pm 
Offline
TDC Member

Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:52 pm
Posts: 2072
Hi Steve, Thanks for that. Does that mean that the oil supply to the rockers and valve gear goes through the LHS end two stud and bolt holes ? ( Coloured red in the photo ).
Now I think the 2 green circled holes are waterway holes but I don't know why they are so small. I would have thought that they would have been as large as possible.
What are the 3 yellow circled holes for please ?

Thanks very much,

Tony.


Attachments:
Sprint Head orificies.jpg
Sprint Head orificies.jpg [ 38.17 KiB | Viewed 531 times ]
Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:47 pm 
Offline
TDC Shropshire Area Organiser

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:12 pm
Posts: 5237
Location: Highley, Shropshire
IIRC the yellow circled holes are oil drain back from the cambox to the sump (along with the oval hole at top right of the pic) and the green holes are oil supply (though I thought there was only one) but it's been a long time since I paid any attention to this sort of thing - it just IS!

Shove a bit of welding wire through the holes and see where it comes out!

Steve

_________________
2 door '73 Toledo with Vauxhall Carlton 2.0 8v engine OWF 797M (The Carledo)
'78 Sprint Auto with Vauxhall Omega 2.2 16v engine EGP 247T (The Dolomega)
'91 Cavalier 2ltr 8v auto
'95 Cavalier 2ltr 16v auto
Spectrum Auto Services, Servicing, Repairs, Electrical, Recomissioning, MOT prep, Trackerjack brake fitting service.
Apprentice served Triumph Specialist for 45 years and home of Maverick Triumph.PM for more info or quotes.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:29 am 
Offline
TDC Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:02 pm
Posts: 2247
Location: Nr Kenilworth
All those holes are for water.(not the bolt holes though) The oil return is into the chain area only at the front

Tony

_________________
Membership 2014047


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:15 pm 
Offline
TDC Member

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:39 am
Posts: 377
Quote:
Now I think the 2 green circled holes are waterway holes but I don't know why they are so small. I would have thought that they would have been as large as possible.
Thanks very much,

Tony.
Apparently the holes are sized to optimise the water flow, it means more cooling water goes to the places where its most needed. I read about it somewhere that explained it. If those holes were bigger it would mean more flow in the centre but not enough cooling to the ends of the head.

_________________
Russ Cooper
Dursley
UK


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:08 pm 
Offline
TDC Shropshire Area Organiser

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:12 pm
Posts: 5237
Location: Highley, Shropshire
The discoloured sections adjacent to the green holes are the blanked bits opposite holes in the block. This is indeed to control water circulation within the block and is mainly to stop the front end overcooling whilst the rear end overheats, all clever stuff!

Tony G, you may well be right about the yellow holes, it's been a long time since I truly LOOKED at the underside of a Sprint head, other than to try and determine just where the blow was in the head gasket! But i'm still sure the green holes must be the oil supply, it has to get up there somehow! and i'm equally sure about the oval hole at the upper right corner being a drain, since the engine sits slightly lower at the back (only a degree or two, but it's enough) there must be a way for oil to escape the rear end of the cambox or it would build up disatrously, especially under acceleration!

Think i've seen an oil circulation diagram somewhere, maybe in the Haynes manual. If I can find it, i'll scan it and post it!

Steve

_________________
2 door '73 Toledo with Vauxhall Carlton 2.0 8v engine OWF 797M (The Carledo)
'78 Sprint Auto with Vauxhall Omega 2.2 16v engine EGP 247T (The Dolomega)
'91 Cavalier 2ltr 8v auto
'95 Cavalier 2ltr 16v auto
Spectrum Auto Services, Servicing, Repairs, Electrical, Recomissioning, MOT prep, Trackerjack brake fitting service.
Apprentice served Triumph Specialist for 45 years and home of Maverick Triumph.PM for more info or quotes.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:20 pm 
Offline
TDC Member

Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:12 pm
Posts: 171
If you look on the head gasket around number 1 stud it is a sort of kidney shape with a copper edge this is how the oil gets up to all cylinder head workings and this first stud rarely gets stuck.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:46 pm 
Offline
TDC Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:02 pm
Posts: 2247
Location: Nr Kenilworth
Correct :thumbsup:
Quote:
If you look on the head gasket around number 1 stud it is a sort of kidney shape with a copper edge this is how the oil gets up to all cylinder head workings and this first stud rarely gets stuck.

_________________
Membership 2014047


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:58 pm 
Offline
TDC Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:02 pm
Posts: 2247
Location: Nr Kenilworth
Steve the green holes are steam holes to allow water in/out. After my research on re-routing the water supply by adding a stat and top hose outlet at the rear of the head and modifying the head gasket to provide equal flow across all cylinders (as far as i can measure), Im 100% that all the holes in the pic above are for either water or studs/bolts. The oil feed from the jackshaft hole feeds up to the head via one of the the front stud/bolt holes( as mentioned above). Ive done 1000 miles on my mod (no-one cared about ) so I can fit an inlet manifold without a stat housing hence my re-route. Soon to be fuel injected with OEM parts (Nissan). I respect your knowledge on Dolly's and car stuff in general and in no way am trying to argue, but I have done 12 months of work on the cooling system and know a lot more than I did before I decided to go the hard route (genetic :) )
:)

Tony

Tony G, you may well be right about the yellow holes, it's been a long time since I truly LOOKED at the underside of a Sprint head, other than to try and determine just where the blow was in the head gasket! But i'm still sure the green holes must be the oil supply, it has to get up there somehow! and i'm equally sure about the oval hole at the upper right corner being a drain, since the engine sits slightly lower at the back (only a degree or two, but it's enough) there must be a way for oil to escape the rear end of the cambox or it would build up disatrously, especially under acceleration!



Steve
[/quote]

_________________
Membership 2014047


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:36 pm 
Offline
TDC Shropshire Area Organiser

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:12 pm
Posts: 5237
Location: Highley, Shropshire
Quote:
Steve the green holes are steam holes to allow water in/out. After my research on re-routing the water supply by adding a stat and top hose outlet at the rear of the head and modifying the head gasket to provide equal flow across all cylinders (as far as i can measure), Im 100% that all the holes in the pic above are for either water or studs/bolts. The oil feed from the jackshaft hole feeds up to the head via one of the the front stud/bolt holes( as mentioned above). Ive done 1000 miles on my mod (no-one cared about ) so I can fit an inlet manifold without a stat housing hence my re-route. Soon to be fuel injected with OEM parts (Nissan). I respect your knowledge on Dolly's and car stuff in general and in no way am trying to argue, but I have done 12 months of work on the cooling system and know a lot more than I did before I decided to go the hard route (genetic :) )
:)

Tony

Tony G, you may well be right about the yellow holes, it's been a long time since I truly LOOKED at the underside of a Sprint head, other than to try and determine just where the blow was in the head gasket! But i'm still sure the green holes must be the oil supply, it has to get up there somehow! and i'm equally sure about the oval hole at the upper right corner being a drain, since the engine sits slightly lower at the back (only a degree or two, but it's enough) there must be a way for oil to escape the rear end of the cambox or it would build up disatrously, especially under acceleration!



Steve
[/quote]

Just goes to show, I don't know EVERYTHING! :lol:

Steve

PS I did follow your thread about the head mods Tony, very interesting engineering, I just prefer to get my EFI by installng the engine it's attached to!

_________________
2 door '73 Toledo with Vauxhall Carlton 2.0 8v engine OWF 797M (The Carledo)
'78 Sprint Auto with Vauxhall Omega 2.2 16v engine EGP 247T (The Dolomega)
'91 Cavalier 2ltr 8v auto
'95 Cavalier 2ltr 16v auto
Spectrum Auto Services, Servicing, Repairs, Electrical, Recomissioning, MOT prep, Trackerjack brake fitting service.
Apprentice served Triumph Specialist for 45 years and home of Maverick Triumph.PM for more info or quotes.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:54 am 
Offline
TDC Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:02 pm
Posts: 2247
Location: Nr Kenilworth
It was more an exercise than anything. Fitting a complete efi engine and loom as you have would prob be easier lol. Currently working on the final bits on the manifold this week so hopefully should be on the car soon too (mapping gut dependant for running ) :D

Tony


PS I did follow your thread about the head mods Tony, very interesting engineering, I just prefer to get my EFI by installng the engine it's attached to!
[/quote]

_________________
Membership 2014047


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited