Steering rack shims - where from?

For everything to do with Dolomites, Toledos, FWD cars and Dolomite-based kitcars.
iandollysprint

Steering rack shims - where from?

#1 Post by iandollysprint »

Hi, about to embark on a steering rack rebuild ahead of a trackday as i have some vagueness in the steering.

I know i can get the super flex cups, bearing,o-ring and lower column bush from a variety of sources but i cant find anyone who sells the tie rod or pinion shims. Anyone know of a supplier of these?

Steering knuckle joint is fine and the lower coupling has been changed out for a universal joint. The slack is not in these, its in the rack itself.

Thanks

Ian
tony g
TDC Member

Re: Steering rack shims - where from?

#2 Post by tony g »

Robsport are listing them 143822 for .004" and 143821 for .010"

Tony
Membership 2014047
Richard the old one
TDC Member

#3 Post by Richard the old one »

In respect to the pinion shims you normally need to take out shims to take out the wear.

If it is the ball joint shims that you require the part catalogue that I am looking at gives the part numbers as 130032 (10th) and 130031 (2th) both are available at Moss-europe and Rimmer bros. Moss being the cheaper.

Do you have the locking tabs part number 120957 these are also available at both suppliers.

Rimmers also stock the pinion bearing 21H5212 which you may need to replace if the O ring as worn and allowed water to get at the bearing.

I am also assuming you have obtained the nearside bush part 128002 which I know was available from Rimmers.
iandollysprint

#4 Post by iandollysprint »

Thanks guys, couldnt see them on the rimmers site but if they stock then then thats great. I'll get the other bits, tabs, plugs etc as well so i have a full set for the rebuild. I thought my rack was reconditioned a couple of years ago but looking at the invoice it was actually 9 years ago!

Ian
tony g
TDC Member

#5 Post by tony g »

I changed the pinion bearing on my rack the other day. The bearing number is just a plain old 6002, available at bearing places for cheapness. MInes got a skf one as we had one on the shelf :)

Tony
Membership 2014047