The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:42 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:31 am 
TDC Member

Lots of things to try when I can find a dry day. Roger, thanks for the info on Strombergs, but my 1977 car has SU carbs.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:15 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Its a long shot, vac advance not working?
I'm thinking along the same lines of the problem being associated with vacuum advance plus centrifugal advance. Under the conditions where you are running along the dual carriageway at say 60 mph there will be 10 - 14 degrees of vacuum advance plus 17 -22 degrees of centrifugal advance. It's round about the maximum you can get. Under these conditions the L.T, wire to the points ( and also the baseplate earthing flexi; lead ) will be at maximum stretch, so I'd be checking these for breakage etc. ( see photo above ). There again I would have expected that giving the car some welly would reduce the vacuum and the problem would go away. And the rev; counter would be jumping around which it isn't.
Tony.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:43 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Quote:
Lots of things to try when I can find a dry day.
I think you might be in for a long wait Mike :( :(

Tony.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:43 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Its a long shot, vac advance not working?
I'm thinking along the same lines of the problem being associated with vacuum advance plus centrifugal advance. Under the conditions where you are running along the dual carriageway at say 60 mph there will be 10 - 14 degrees of vacuum advance plus 17 -22 degrees of centrifugal advance. It's round about the maximum you can get. Under these conditions the L.T, wire to the points ( and also the baseplate earthing flexi; lead ) will be at maximum stretch, so I'd be checking these for breakage etc. ( see photo above ). There again I would have expected that giving the car some welly would reduce the vacuum and the problem would go away. And the rev; counter would be jumping around which it isn't.
Tony.
I've got a decent strobe gun so will check out the advance and vacuum next time I can get under the bonnet. As Tony Dollyman said, it might be a long wait. Meanwhile the garage is occupied by my Z3 which has a broken front spring. Grrr. And the spring punctured the new tyre. Double Grrrr.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:08 pm 
TDC Member

According to the XC weather site there is a dry sunny spell coming in your neck of the woods for an hour or so around 9am on wednesday, we expect answers then :D :D

Too many cars, too little time!