Classic Car Tuning - A recommendation from a ham fisted clots

For anything not directly related to Dolomites. Come in and relax!
killysprint
Saving up to join the Club!
Saving up to join the Club!

Classic Car Tuning - A recommendation from a ham fisted clots

#1 Post by killysprint »

Please if this breaches the rules of the forum please remove!! I have no association with AG Classic Car Tuning other than being a Happy Customer!!

I'd been having issues with my Sprint running (extremely) rich and starting problems for a number of years, and to honest was stopping me using the car. It has twin 45's and would foul the plugs on start up if it was given too much throttle (a hairs movement) , then run, but miss the brief opportunity to catch it, and would require a clean dry set of plugs to run properly again. I spent a small fortune at a local rolling road initially when the carbs were fitted to set them up, but it was never right.

life is busy and and I'm fortunate to have some other weekend cars to run around in so it has been put on the back burner. I'd been meaning to take it up to a local rolling road (local.... at Nenthead near Alston in the pennines) that had been recommended by a friend but never got around to it.

Anyway went to a local autojumble a couple of weeks ago and was chatting to a guy there and he recommended a mobile carburettor tuning guy - Andrew Grabowski - AG Classic Car Tuning.

He's based at Kirby Moorside in North Yorkshire, and offers a mobile service and could come to the house to have a look at my grumpy car. An interesting and lovely guy that thoroughly enjoys what he does. After leaving a career travelling globally for an engineering business he set up his tuning business a couple of years ago after covid and hasn't looked back. He mentioned that he'd worked on a couple of "works" Sprints locally to him in North Yorkshire - was wondering if it was anyone on here???

Andy combined the trip to my place in Newcastle, with another job in Northumberland so his travel costs were shared, and he spent a couple of hours fettling and adjusting the carbs on my sprint. And it's like a different car.

Starts easily, doesn't cough and splutter, fart or backfire when cold. Revs cleanly and easily, plugs are brown not black and sooty, and most importantly because the car is running so much better, I'm using the car more.

What he did was way beyond my level of (in)competence (and patience), and I guess a dying art. From today's mechanics, its generally - computer says no......

So a happy customer, and more than happy to recommend to others. Have a look at his facebook page "AG Classic Tuning" to see the other cars he's worked on, and for contact details.
1976 Taihiti Sprint
2024 volvo XC90 T8 Hybrid
2011 Landrover Defender pickup - twisted :D
2023 Porsche 911 Carrera T Manual!!
2021 Toyota Yaris GR-Four
2015 Audi RS4 Avant (V8!!)

Gone but not forgotten 2008 BMW M5 (E61) Touring (George, as in Best, as it likes a Drink) to be replaced soon...... Epic epic car